Swim Or Die In The Cloud
Original publication LinkedIn September 18, 2016, also found at Cavirin Blog
Cloud Computing: Where is it? What is it?
Cloud computing, on its own, is a benign concept, identified as having five attributes:
- priced according to recurring subscriptions or usage-based charges, rather than having an up-front cost.
- delivers IT capabilities that scale with demand, rather than being defined by a fixed set of assets.
- is delivered as a well-defined service, instead of as a product that needs system administrators and maintenance.
- is typically based on the open Internet technology, which increases its interoperability.
- enables resources to serve multiple needs for multiple consumers, rather than dedicating resources for individual infrastructure, software, or platforms
- Virtualization: Abstractions compute services away from their physical hardware and allow them to be treated as data. (The technology)
- Cloud: Builds on this abstraction by allowing services to be flexible, sourced from a number of providers and delivered over a number of channels. (The business)
- Asset Efficiency: resulting savings from buying, housing, and supporting fewer devices, (a.k.a benefit of Virtualization)
- Next >>